Friday, 16 November 2012

30 before 30...why bother?

Edinburgh, Scotland. So in less than two weeks I will wave farewell to my 20s. It's been an above-average decade and I am hoping the best is yet to come. Else the rest of my life will pretty much suck ;) Unlike the rest of the inter-web approaching this milestone, I haven't had a '30 before 30' list that I am furiously checking off in the run-up to this milestone. Probably because right now my To Do list (in my head, on my phone and on various bits of paper lying about the flat and in my handbag) is pretty full. Relocating to yet another foreign country, finishing up work, organising visas, organising my party (naturally, taking preference over ALL other more pressing priorities), family visiting, graduation...

Here are things I will achieve / have achieved before 30, through sheer luck rather than intention / design:

  1. Get my 3rd degree. Done. Well almost. I graduate the day before I turn 30. Cutting it fine. And yes, I am a big, fat nerd. 8) So... Do you get to put MBA letters after your name? Like PhD graduates get to put PhD after their names? And they get Dr before their names, uber-cool. I dunno, I am going with it. (have actually just made a note-to-self on a scrap of paper next to the couch "MBA letters - investigate. Get business cards made up accordingly" Really Precious, priorities woman?!)
  2. Live and work in a foreign country. Done. Twice. Travelled lots. Soon to be three times. Win. 
  3. Become an aunt. ... well are you already an aunt if it is still cooking in your sister's tummy? I dunno, am claiming it. It's (almost) my birthday, I can do what I want when I want. 
  4. Get a tattoo. This was a fun and eventful last Saturday "date day". I told the boy to "get me something to keep forever" for my 30th birthday present. I was expecting jewellery. I got a tattoo. Just.like.that. I also made him get one, first, to see how much it hurt. He's a real champ. 
  5. Drink 1.5 litres of wine. Go out. Drink vodka. Have shots. Didn't die. 1000 life points to me. 
  6. As you can gather, I am stretching with the last one so will move on. Geez, how do people come up with 30 things to achieve..."I'm too old for this sh*t" (said at least 100 times in the last week, by me)
Things I will definitely not achieve by 30 that most grown-up women should know, and I perhaps will never achieve them:
  1. Change a tyre. I instead tend to call Roadside Assist and / or roll up to a garage (gas station), wave some bank notes around, and get my tyres changed for me by petrol service attendants (this is Africa, yo) - Formula 1 pit crew style. It's how I roll!
  2. Rewire a plug. If this is a necessary girl / life skill, I fail. Have been shown many times, never felt the need to practise solo. I mostly just buy new appliances, or appliances with the right plugs, or I take it to a boy. 
  3. Learn how to iron, properly. I can iron, but never with great success. As such, don't own an iron. Problem.solved.
  4. Use a sewing machine. I believe I did have this skill, circa 1995. I mean, I must've. I have a book that says I got the needlework prize in Primary School. My little mum also assisted with needlework classes for a term. These two things may or may not be related. I only bring this up because Jemily is a crafty little thing, making neckerchiefs and kids clothes and such. Me, not so much. 
  5. I need to stop now. Else this list will be longer than what I have "achieved". And that'll just be embarrassing. 
What do you feel you won't achieve by your next birthday, or (if you are like me) perhaps ever? 
Yours in being nearly 30 and still awesome (and not very grown up), x P

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'll ever learn to iron properly... luckily my boyfriend does it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Jemily and Precious HEARTS procrastination... leave your words to read to keep us from productive tasks...work is for grown ups.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails